KBZine-Logo-9.png

 

KBzine: the original kitchen and bathroom industry e-newssince 2002
13th July 2018

 

We strongly recommend viewing KBzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.

 

Search
English French Spanish Italian German Dutch Russian Mandarin


BMA calls for more anti-scald education after man dies after falling into scalding bath

* BMA-water-like-fire.jpgAfter the tragic news that a 79-year-old man died after falling in a scalding hot bath at his Romford home, Bathroom Manufacturers Association CEO Yvonne Orgill has called for more to be done to avoid such tragic incidents.

"This is another avoidable death reminding us all that it is a shocking fact that people die in the bathroom from scalding accidents," says Yvonne. "Scalding is deadly serious and the very young and the very old are the most vulnerable, as this case shows."

The Romford pensioner is believed to have fallen while getting showered, accidently knocking the hot tap which poured scalding water onto his leg. He was unable to stand up and lay helpless for hours, which led to loss of fluid so severe he suffered kidney failure and died in hospital nine days later.

Yvonne says: "This could so easily have been prevented with a relatively inexpensive bathroom product with a built-in thermostatic device.

"Our campaign, 'Hot Water Burns like Fire', which is supported by Amanda Redman MBE, has been designed to educate the public about the dangers and we have been lobbying within the industry for the mandatory inclusion of anti-scald devices. Basic TMV2 or TMV3 compliant valves would prevent further tragedies like this.

"We know we have our members behind us, but we must remain vigilant and encourage others to support our campaign and raise awareness to eradicate these unnecessary deaths."

www.bathroom-association.org

15th June 2018




© The KBzine 2018.
Subscribe | Unsubscribe | Cookies | Sitemap