KBzine: the original kitchen and bathroom industry e-news - since 2002
20th October 2017
We strongly recommend viewing KBzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
Some 111.4 million European households will have smart meters by 2015
According to a new research report from the analyst firm Berg Insight, the installed base of smart electricity meters in Europe will grow at a compound annual growth rate of 17.9% between 2009 and 2015 to reach 111.4 million at the end of the period.
Providing consumers with detailed information about their electricity consumption, the new generation of meters gives customers control over energy costs and creates financial incentives for energy savings.
Moreover smart meters constitute the core building blocks in future smart grids that will incorporate a wide range of technologies related to renewable generation, distribution network optimisation and energy conservation.
The report identifies France, Spain and the UK as the next countries in Europe where smart metering will become introduced, following major rollouts in Italy and the Nordic region.
In the past year, EDF, Endesa and Iberdrola, three of the absolutely largest electricity network operators in Europe, have launched large-scale pilots in France and Spain, respectively. Next year, these deployments will evolve into nationwide rollouts in these countries, reportsTobias Ryberg, Senior Analyst, Berg Insight.
On top of that, the UKs largest electricity and gas retailer British Gas has launched the first major smart metering project for residential customers in the country. These developments in combination with rollouts in several other European countries will drive strong market growth over the next five years.
'Smart Metering in Western Europe 7th Edition', available from Research & Markets, will give readers an insight into the EU energy policies driving the adoption of smart metering, as well as the latest market developments in Europe.
Highlights from the report include:
* Case studies of smart metering projects by the leading energy groups in Europe
* In-depth market profiles of 14 countries in Western Europe
* Status updates on the development of smart grid and communication technology
* Updated profiles of the key players in the metering industry
* Revised market forecasts lasting until 2015
* Summary of the latest developments in the European energy industry
This report answers the following questions:
* How are EU energy policies driving the adoption of smart metering?
* What are Endesa's and Iberdrola's plans for their respective rollouts in Spain?
* Why is British Gas making an early start with smart meters in the UK?
* What is the current status of ERDFs Linky Programme in France?
* What lessons can be learned from projects in the Nordic countries?
* Who are the leading suppliers of smart metering solutions for the European market?
* Which are the main providers of PLC and wireless communication technology for smart meters?
* What will be the impact of pan-European standard initiatives related to smart metering?
Key topics covered by the report include:
* Executive summary
* Electricity, gas and district heating distribution in Europe
* Smart metering
* PLC and wireless communication technologies
* Smart metering industry players
* Market analysis
* Market profiles: Northern Europe
* 7Market profiles: Western Europe
* Market profiles: Southern Europe
* Case studies: Smart metering projects in Europe
* List of Figures
The companies mentioned include:
* ADD Group
* Diehl Metering
* Entity Group/PRI-Secure Meters
* GE Energy
* Generis Technology
* NURI Telecom
* Process Vision
* Remote Energy Monitoring
* RWE Metering
* Tritech Technologies
Fax: (US) 646-607-1907
Fax: (outside U.S.) +353-1-481-1716
30th July 2010