KBZine-Logo-9.png

 

KBzine: the original kitchen and bathroom industry e-newssince 2002
21st July 2017

 

We strongly recommend viewing KBzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.

 

Search
English French Spanish Italian German Dutch Russian Mandarin


Gas fitter may face prison after illegal work

An unregistered gas fitter has received a suspended prison sentence for illegally carrying out sub-standard gas work at a property in Essex. Steven Arnold, 51, trading as Thermostat Plumbing & Heating Services of Hackney, north east London, installed a boiler, pipework and a new cooker fitting at a property in Leigh on Sea. However, neither he nor the person he paid to help him carry out the work were registered with Gas Safe Register as qualified and competent to carry out gas work.

Southend Magistrates' Court heard that the tenant of the property became suspicious when she received a landlord's gas safety inspection record that contained details of a registered gas engineer who had never visited the property.

She contacted Gas Safe Register who sent an investigator to inspect the installation. Gas Safe Register found that the installation did not meet current standards and advised that remedial work be carried out.

Mr Arnold admitted breaching Section 3(2) of the Heath & Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was given a two month prison sentence suspended for 18 months. He was also fined £12,000 and ordered to pay £1,760 in costs.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Vicky Fletcher said:

"Mr Arnold installed a gas boiler and gas pipework knowing he was not legally allowed to do so. Unregistered gas fitters do not have the training, knowledge or experience to work on gas fittings safely. They endanger the lives of the public for financial gain, fraudulently avoiding the time and expense of becoming competent and registered.

"Every year around 15 people die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated.
Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause fires, explosions, gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning. Homeowners, landlords and tenants should always request ID and check their engineer is properly accredited."

Further information about gas safety can be found online at www.hse.gov.uk

3rd May 2013




© The KBzine 2017. Website Coding by Elderberry Development.
Subscribe | Unsubscribe | Cookies | Sitemap