KBzine: the original kitchen and bathroom industry e-news - since 2002
30th June 2020
We strongly recommend viewing KBzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
Quinoa and spiralisers? Brits still have soft spot for retro dining, reveals survey
Despite the rise in popularity of superfoods such as quinoa, kale and avocado - and gadgets such as spiralisers and juicers - Brits still place cottage pie and toastie makers as firm favourites when it comes to dining.
This is according to a survey of more than 1,000 consumers conducted on behalf of kitchen appliance manufacturer Gorenje. The survey looked at which retro kitchen items the UK public favour and revealed some interesting findings:
- More than one-third (34.06%) of Brits name cottage pie as their favourite retro dish, while toad-in-the-hole and prawn cocktail came second and third respectively
- One-quarter (24.5%) of Brits name the toastie maker as the retro kitchen gadget they can't live without
- Half of Brits said three or more recipes have been handed down from an older generation
- The UK's top three retro sweets are; Bon bons, Refreshers and Love Hearts with one-in-five Brits selecting bons bons as their outright favourite
- The nation voted the 60s as the best design area
"It is unsurprising that the 60s was revealed as the nation's favourite design era as our Retro fridge freezer collection is our best-selling line," notes Stuart Benson, sales director at Gorenje.
"It is brilliant that varied and exotic foods are so readily available now. But this survey reveals traditional dishes and cooking equipment are still a staple of the British kitchen."
10th June 2016