KBzine: the original kitchen and bathroom industry e-news - since 2002
30th June 2020
We strongly recommend viewing KBzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
Tile Trader's 'Tiling for a Good Cause' winner announced
Complete Kidz, a community interest company in the West Midlands, has been crowned the winner of a bespoke tiling makeover worth £500 to transform its community centre.
The ;Tiling for a Good Cause' initiative, hosted by online retailer Tile Trader.co.uk, called on members of the public to nominate a space in their local area in need of a tiling makeover. Entrants were asked to submit a short description detailing how they would like the nominated space to be transformed with tiles.
Complete Kidz was nominated by its chief executive, Jo Haydon, who stated she would like to brighten up the children's toilet areas of the community centre, making them more colourful, warm and inviting.
Commenting on the win, Jo said: "As a social enterprise, and not a charity, one of the areas that often gets overlooked for refurbishments is the toilets, due to financial constraints. This fantastic prize will allow us to improve the bathrooms for the children who use this facility, and it will be gratefully received."
Complete Kidz will receive tiles and accompanying tiling materials worth £500 courtesy of Tile Trader to complete the much-needed makeover.
Judge Karen Stylianides described Complete Kidz as: "A wonderful project with admirable aims. Tiles will make a real difference to this room."
Judge Michela Colling commented: "Whilst the bathroom in a communal space often needs to serve practical needs, why should such a well utilised space be overlooked in terms of design. Taking this from a clinical space to a warm or colourful place with bright tile selections will help create an inviting space."
The 12 entrants in the public vote were as follows:
* Bagnall Hall Kitchen for Bexhill Caring Community, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex
* Complete Kidz Community Interest Company, Smethwick, West Midlands
* Forum at Greenwich, Greenwich, London
* Ladysmith Care Home, Grimsby, Lincolnshire
* Millman Street Centre, Holburn, London
* Newport Royal Naval Association Club, Telford, Shropshire
* Pathhead Village Hall, Pathhead, Scotland
* Putney Arts Theatre, Putney, London
* Riding for the Disabled Association - Coleraine and District Group, Coleraine, Northern Ireland
* St Angela's Primary School, Glasgow
* Streatham Vale Adventure Playground, Streatham Vale, London
* Young Actors Theatre, Islington, London
Peter Swain from Tile Trader said: "On behalf of everyone at Tile Trader, I would like to thank everyone who took part and congratulate Complete Kidz. We received some fantastic entries from all across the UK and our judges had a difficult decision selecting just one worthy winner.
"We look forward to helping Complete Kidz decide on which tile style to select and we can't wait to see the final result."
The full prize and gallery of entries from across the UK can be viewed at:
15th December 2017