KBzine: the original kitchen and bathroom industry e-news - since 2002
30th June 2020
We strongly recommend viewing KBzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
KBSA Designer Awards 2018 winners receive their trophies
Hearty congratulations to all the winners of the Kitchen Bathroom Bedroom Specialists Association Designer of the Year Awards 2018, who collected their awards at the Association's annual conference this week at the Stratford Manor Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon. The winners were:
* Kitchen Designer of the Year (up to £20k) sponsored by AEG - Andrew Bell, Mike Hughes Kitchens & Bedrooms. Mike was commended for its well-functioning kitchen with a lovely choice of materials.
* Kitchen Designer of the Year (£20k - £40k) sponsored by Blanco - Diane Berry, Diane Berry Kitchens. The judges said that this design made very clever use of a tight space and Diane had displayed excellent lighting skills making good use of the available natural light.
Kitchen Designer of the Year (over £40k) sponsored by Neff - Niko Rasides, Nicholas Anthony Services. This was a clear winner for the judges with its clever, simple but beautiful answer to the brief.
* Bathroom Designer of the Year, sponsored by Airflow Developments - Glyn Davis, Denby Kitchen Company. Glyn's design was praised by the judges for being exceedingly well executed.
* Young Designer of the Year, sponsored by Franke UK - Hania Southwell, at.twenty.one.interiors. All the judges agreed that this design had a beautiful clarity, met the brief exceedingly well and excelled in composition, colour and use of materials. Hania will receive an education grant of £1,500 and a cash prize of £500.
* Kitchen Concept Designer of the Year, Sponsored by Blum UK - Lynsey Jamieson, Kitchens International. The judges commented on the selection of materials and the use of proportion, scale and light to create this winning design.
* Supplier of the Year, sponsored by Clear Insurance Management and QANW - Blanco UK. This Award is based on votes from KBSA retailers.
* Customer Service Award of the Year, sponsored by Smeg UK - Joint Winners: Classic Interiors / Denmore Kitchens & Bathrooms of Aberdeen
Corporate chair Simon Acres from Omega also announced a special retail member award to mark the Association's 40th year. This was awarded to Dewhirst Kitchens, one of the founder members of the Association and a family business that has been operating for 61 years.
This year's finalists for were declared by the new panel of judges to be the best yet, in terms of quality of design.
Head judge Wayne Hemingway, who presented the Awards, said: "It was such a pleasure and privilege to be involved with the KBSA Designer Awards this year. It is inspiring to see so much design talent across different price points.
"It was particularly great to have the opportunity to judge the Young Designer Award as it is so important to nurture and support the young people that have just begun their design careers in the industry."
Dr Vanessa Brady OBE worked alongside Wayne Hemingway, to lead the new panel which included Martin Gill, managing director at And So To Bed; Rob Mascari, creative director, Mascari; Andrea Hillier, national retail services manager, Blum UK and Ainhoa Bilboa, kitchen designer at Bulthaup, Wigmore Street, London.
KBSA national chair, Richard Hibbert said of this year's programme: "We are delighted with the response this year. We had more entries than last year in every category and the quality of entries is very good.
"Excellence in design is an important part of the ethos for KBSA retailers and our awards are a great way to recognise and reward the talent in our industry."
As well as new judges the 2018 Design Awards enjoyed a new enhanced rewards and recognition package. All shortlisted projects receive a personalised PR support package to maximise the promotion of their winning designs, while winners receive a substantial suite of PR support aids, worth up to £1,000, to maximise local coverage. There is also a financial reward for the Young Designer Award. The Young Designer winner received a cash prize of £500 and at the judges' discretion an additional award of £1,500 in the form of an educational/ training bursary.
T: 01623 818808
14th September 2018