KBzine: the original kitchen and bathroom industry e-news - since 2002
25th May 2020
We strongly recommend viewing KBzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
Coronavirus... global pandemic: national challenge
The national survey conducted by the National Home Improvement Council in the first week of the lockdown (26th March 2020 to 3rd April 2020) shows a significant risk to consumers alongside a need for clearer guidance on the stay at home restrictions.
Consumers (home owners and tenants), it says, are clearly vulnerable as a result of Covid-19 and at risk of falling foul of:
* Rogue traders (over charging, underperforming)
* Grey economy shortfalls
* Non-compliant products and or installations
Home improvement and RMI companies, installers and supply chain manufacturers are vulnerable as a result of COVID19 and at risk of falling foul of:
* Cash flow implications from the stay at home guidance
* Going out of business
* Loosing valuable skills and resources due to having to lay off staff
As a result, the sector is under significant strain and under unprecedented risk to future failure as a result of:
* Reputable companies going out of business
* Trade associations and membership support organisations going out of business
* Sector being flooded by untrained, unskilled workers from other sectors who find themselves out of work following Covid-19 layoffs
"The significant risk to consumer detriment is extremely worrying and we
call on Government to support the home improvement and RMI sector as a priority alongside mainstream construction, engineering and new housebuilding," says Anna Scothern chief executive at NHIC.
The full survey findings can be view at www.nhic.org.uk
The NHIC is an ambassador for collaborative action, representing 100,000 home improvement and RMI sector professionals while working across the sector, wider industry and consumer groups to raise all homes up to modern living standards while inspiring and supporting householders to renovate, refurbish and improve their homes with confidence.
22nd April 2020