KBzine: the original kitchen and bathroom industry e-news - since 2002
28th January 2021
We strongly recommend viewing KBzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.
Design considerations for a post Covid-19 world
If you’re looking beyond lockdown and pondering how the interiors and design of our homes are going to change as a result of the Coronavirus crisis, then you’ve already probably considered the impact hygiene is going to have on how we interact with everyday items in our home.
Since the beginning of this year, Grohe has already seen unprecedented demand for its infrared touchless taps and ongoing enquiries and sales show this is a trend that is set to stay.
Hygiene-focused products have always been commonplace in commercial spaces (those we typically see in hotels, airports and shopping centres) but in the wake of the Coronavirus, Grohe forecasts that they will take hold in the consumer world too with home owners wanting to create a more hygienic, touch-free environment in their own homes.
From anti-bacterial coatings on toilet bowls and being able to use the toilet completely hands-free, to taps you can operate with your wrist, elbow or the power of infrared technology: Grohe is coming up with product design in the kitchen and bathroom that optimises hygiene through smart features and advanced technology.
Such designs include:
Bau Cosmo E infra-red bathroom tap:
- Waterflow is started and stopped when the sensor detects movement in or around the basin, meaning no need to touch the tap to wash your hands
- Pre-set programmes can ensure temperature is optimised for both safety and hygiene
- Helps reduce water consumption by only using the water that is needed. When hands are moved from the basin area, the water stops.
- Additional water saving aerator (Grohe EcoJoy technology) keeps water consumption at no more than 5.7l/min
- Great for multi-generational homes; from young children who forget to turn the taps off to elderly relatives who might have reduced mobility and would struggle to operate a standard tap
Sensia Arena shower toilet:
- A touch-free cleaning experience using just warm water and air – no chemicals or toilet paper.
- Settings such as spray pattern, temperature, duration, pressure or position can all be personalised and controlled via an app on your phone
- Automatic flush and lid opening and closing means no need to touch the toilet surface
- Rimless design and special anti-bacterial surface coating applied to the toilet bowl, shower arms and nozzle guards eradicates dirt particles
- Ion technology known as PlasmaCluster releases positive and negative ions into even the farthest hard-to-reach corners of the toilet bowl and in the air around the toilet to inactivate bacteria
SmartControl kitchen tap:
- The standard kitchen tap lever has been replaced with a button at the end of the spout which activates water flow.
- The button can easily be pushed with the wrist, forearm or elbow helping to prevent cross-contamination when preparing food or the spread of germs from unclean hands
- Temperature settings are regulated using a mixing valve on the body of the tap. The tap then remembers and automatically saves the preferred settings, meaning that the volume and temperature levels will stay just as you like it the next time you use the tap.
25th May 2020