KBZine-Logo-8.png

 

KBzine: the original kitchen and bathroom industry e-newssince 2002
21st April 2017

 

We strongly recommend viewing KBzine full size in your web browser. Click our masthead above to visit our website version.

 

Search
English French Spanish Italian German Dutch Russian Mandarin


Two companies fined for safety failings

Two companies have been fined for dangerously installing and operating gas fired tumble driers at a student hall of residence, while not Gas Safe Registered.

York Magistrates' Court heard how in 2012, Direct Laundry Installations of Halifax, West Yorkshire, was contracted by Circuit Laundrette Services to install gas laundry equipment as part of a coin operated laundry, but was not at the time registered with Gas Safe Register. The installation was not completed correctly, as the flues were not in a safe position.

Direct Laundry Installations was prosecuted by the Health & Safety Executive and pleaded guilty to Section 3(3) and 27(5) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations and was fined £12,000 with costs of £935.

Circuit Laundrette Services of Halifax Lane, Ripponden was prosecuted by the Health & Safety Executive and pleaded guilty to Section 3(1) of the Health & Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and were fined £13,000 with costs of £974.

After the hearing HSE inspector Julian Franklin said: "This case arose because Circuit failed to follow its own normal commissioning procedures, resulting in a dangerous installation being put into use. Luckily none of the students in the affected blocks suffered any health effects but it could have been fatal."

For more information about Gas Safety log onto the website at:

www.hse.gov.uk

31st July 2015




© The KBzine 2017. Website Coding by Elderberry Development.
Subscribe | Unsubscribe | Cookies | Sitemap